Carrara was born in the foothills of the Apuan Alps and it’s considered the world capital of marble at date. Marble mining tradition is not only about artists and powerful mentors, it is the common miner’s story, the saga of thousands of people who worked hard and courageously in the marble quarries. World famous Carrara marble is still extracted from the quarries of Apuan Alps, each year tens of millions of tons of marble and other hard stones are mined and processed. Such ‚caves’ - the marble quarries - are a world apart, a unique breath-taking stretch of land suspended between the sea and the Appennines mountains peaks.
The Great Michelangelo Bonarroti has created marvelous statues making large use of the precious marble of Carrara and his statues seem to possess their own soul. This experience will allow you to see the modern machinery used for marble excavation, you will be shown ruins from the Roman era, some even going back to the Middle Ages and Renaissance. We will be entering into the heart of the quarry, where miners gather each morning to "split white rock." Modern equipment such as cutting marble blades, the diamond wire, bulldozers and excavators are all on sight: this is a dip in working the story of a human activity that began about 2000 years ago.
- Private Tour for small groups
- Departure from an agreed meeting point or from your hotel
- Driver and professional guide
- Visit of the Carrara marble caves with a SUV 4x4
- Lunch in a local restaurant with a tasting of the famous Lardo di Colonnata
- Return to an agreed meeting point or to your hotel
- About 5 hours tour
- Languages: Italian, English + German on request